Will Daskal is an award-winning, watercolor landscape artist living in the bucolic Pocono Mountains. He is an energetic, highly regarded and well-known regional watermedia impressionist and watercolor painting workshop instructor and plein air artist who loves to paint, taking great pride and pleasure in being able to pass on his technical knowledge to his many eager, receptive students!
- May, 2013: "Green Drake Redux" was awarded the 1st Place Award in Landscape at the Pocono Mountains Art Council Members Show.
- September, 2012: "False Cast" was awarded the BEST OF SHOW AWARD at the Paint Box Art Club Fall Member's Show at the Eagles Nest Gallery in Nazareth.
- September, 2012: "Bushkill Creek" was awarded the 1st Place Blue Ribbon in Watercolor at the Paint Box Art Club Fall Member's Show at the Eagles Nest Gallery in Nazareth.
- July 2012: "Autumn on the Brodhead" was selected at the 1st Place Blue Ribbon Watercolor Award Winner the 66th Annual Stroudsburg Annual Courthouse Square Art Show.
- May, 2012: "Mud Run" was awarded the Second Place Ribbon in Watercolor at the PoconoArts Members' Exhibition in Stroudsburg.
- May, 2012: "Launching at Peck's Pond" was auctioned off at the Annual Kettle Creek Conservation Fund Banquet at the Camelback Resort in Tannersville, PA..
- April, 2012: "Cherry Valley Pines" was auctioned off on live television at the 2012 Monroe Count's Red Cross of the Poconos Telethon on Blue Ridge Cable TV (BRC-TV...Channel 13).
- March, 2012: "Bushkill Birches" was auctioned of the the Pocono Arts Council's Annual "Spring for the Arts" Fund-Raiser at the Stroudmoor in Stroudsburg, PA.
- March, 2012: "Mending Line" was auctioned off at the Brodhead Chapter of Trout Unlimited's Annual Fund-Raiser for Conservation in Stroudsburg, PA.
- March, 2012: "Solitary Swimmer" Giclee was awarded at the Monroe County Conservation District's Annual Dinner at the Stroudmoor in Stroudsburg, PA.
- September 2011: "Bushkill Falls" (watercolor) was awarded BEST IN SHOW at the Eagles Nest Gallery during the Paint Box Art Club's Annual Members' Show in Nazareth, PA.
- September 2011: "Two Lemons" was awarded a 3rd Place in Acrylics at the Eagles Nest Gallery during the Paint Box Art Club's Annual Members' Show in Nazareth, PA.
- August 2011: "Busy Bee" was selected as the Grand Raffle Prize at the Barrett "Art in our Back Yard" Exhibition.
- July 2011: "Butter-Licious" was awarded 1st Place in Watercolor at the prestigious Stroudsburg Courthouse Square Art Show.
- July 2011: "Woodland Falls" was awarded 2nd Place in Acrylic at the prestigious Stroudsburg Courthouse Square Art Show.
- July 2011: Giclee of "Winter Silence" was selected at the grand raffle prize for the Stroudsburg Annual Courthouse Square Art Show.
- June 2011: "Winter Silence" was selected as the grand raffle prize for the Pocono Mountains Art Group's fund-raiser.
- May, 2011: "Brodhead Pond" was awarded the Second Place Ribbon in Watercolor at the PoconoArts Members' Exhibition in Stroudsburg.
- May 2011: "Humming Along" was selected by the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Scranton for its annual fund raising dinner at the Stroudsmoor Country Club.
- May 2011: "Delaware River Vista" – acrylic painting on paper will be auctioned off live at the Kettle Creek Environmental fund raising dinner at the Camelback resort.
- May 2011: April 2011: "Brodhead Pond" and "Bushkill Creek at Resica" were selected for display in the Hughes Eastern Pocono Library for Pocono Watercolor Associates.
- April 2011: Painting "Yellow Posies" will be auctioned off on live Blue Ridge Cable TV on April 17th by State Rep. Mario Scavello for the Monroe County Red Cross Telethon.
- April 2011: Painting "Cherry Valley Sunrise" was selected as the Grand Raffle Prize for ARTWORKS III Western Monroe County Library fund-raising raffle.
- March 2011: an original acrylic painting on paper was auctioned off at the annual "Spring into Arts" fund raising dinner at the Stroudsmoor Country Club for the Pocono Arts Council.
- March 2011: two original acrylic paintings on canvas were auctioned off for the Pocono Medical Center's new cancer wing at a fund raising dinner.
- March 2011: Painting "Cherry Valley – Dawn" was the grand raffle prize at the Brodheads TROUT UNLIMITED Conservation Fund Dinner.
- March 2011: Painting "Gregory Pond" was the grand prize raffled off at the Monroe County Environmental Conservation District fund-raising dinner.
- November, 2010: "Brodhead Pond - Spring" was placed on display in the Bethlehem City Hall Rotunda Art Gallery.
- September, 2010: "Mooring Party" was juried and accepted into the Bethlehem Palette Club's Annual Members' Art Show in the Crayola Gallery at the Banana Factory (Bethlehem, PA)
- September, 2010: "Winton Marsalis & His Horn" was juried and accepted into the COTA Art Show at the prestigious Dutot Museum (Delaware Water Gap, PA).
- August, 2010: Five ribbons were awards to five watercolor paintings entered into the juried competition at the Annual West End Fair (Gilbert, PA).
- July, 2009: First Place Blue Ribbon in Watercolor (Buck Hill Falls Art Festival in Buck Hill Falls, PA).
- July, 2009: First Place Blue Ribbon in Watercolor (Courthouse Square Art Show in Stroudsburg).
- August, 2008: Two designs were selected by the Pocono Record newspaper for inclusion among the final three selections for public voting in their annual West End Fair Tee Shirt Contest!
- July, 2008: First Place Blue Ribbon in Watercolor (Courthouse Square Art Show in Stroudsburg).
- May, 2008: First Place Blue Ribbon in Watercolor (PoconoArts Members' Exhibition in Stroudsburg).
- June, 2007: Watercolor painting was purchased by Aventis Corporation (sanofi-pasteur) and added to their corporate art collection in Swiftwater, PA.
- May, 2007: Honorary Mention Ribbon in Watercolor (Pocono Arts Council's annual juried Members' Exhibition in Stroudsburg).
- July, 2006: First Place Blue Ribbon in Watercolor (Chestnut Hill Township Art Show).
Will teaches ongoing watercolor, mixed media & acrylic workshops, as follows:
- Ongoing Monday morning Acrylics classes for the PoconoARTS Program through the Pocono Arts Council, 18 No. 7th Street, Stroudsburg, PA.
- For Pocono Watercolor Associates through a grant from the Pennsylvania Council for the Arts.
- Every Wednesday, Will teaches an acrylics painting class to the inmates at the Monroe County Correctional Facility!
- Ongoing Wednesday afternoon watercolor classes in the Lehigh Valley for FOLKWERKS GALLERY in Alburtis, PA.
- And every Friday, Will teaches a watercolor painting class to the inmates at the Monroe County Correctional Facility!
In addition to the many classes he teaches, Will has studied advanced watercolor techniques with such renowned international artists as Don Andrews, Tom Lynch, & Ron Ranson, as well as at the prestigious Baum School of Art in Allentown, where he was previously mentored by watercolor instructor, William Wentz and Dana Van Horn. Mr. Wentz was a student of the Betty Lou Schlemme, a protégé of our nation's preeminent watercolor teacher, the late Edgar Whitney. In the coming year, he'll be studying with Tony Couch, Tom Lynch (for the second time) and Jean Uhl Spicer!
Over the past few years, Will and his paintings have been featured in various fund-raising venues as well as on local and regional TV shows, as follow:
- American Red Cross of Monroe County Telethon (2008; 2011 & 2012)
- Arts in the Valley TV Show (2008)
- ARTWORKS III (2011)
- Barrett-Paradise Friendly Library Art Raffle (2007-2009; 2011)
- Blue Ridge Cable Evening News (2006-2008)
- Brodheads Trout Unlimited Conservation Banquet (2007-2011)
- Kettle Creek Conservation Fund Banquet (2008-2011)
- LVTV news (2008)
- Make-A-Wish Foundation of Scranton Fund-Raising Dinner (2011)
- Monroe County Conservation District Conservation Dinner (2007-2011)
- Out in the Open TV Show: August-September, 2012 & 2013 on BRCTV
- Pocono Medical Center Cancer Wing Dedication Banquet (2011)
- Talk of the Town with Kim & Marie TV Show: February, 2013 on BRCTV
In addition to the Blue Ribbons he has won during regional art shows, area-wide art festivals and numerous are venues and exhibitions, Will work has been showcased at several solo shows in the last few years, including the following:
Will's work has also been featured at:
- The Baum School of Art Gallery in Allentown
- The Old Vic Gallery in Alburtis, PA.
- The Sherman Theater in Stroudsburg
- RIV IV at the Gallery 504 in Stroudsburg
- RIV V at the East Stroudsburg University's Madeleine Powers Art Gallery
- RIV VI at the Shawnee Gallery
- RIV VII at the East Stroudsburg Community Theatre Gallery
- RIV X at the Antoine Dutot Museum in Delaware Water Gap, PA.
- COTA Celebration of the Arts in Delaware Water Gap, PA.
- sanofi-pasteur's Corporate Art Gallery in Scot Run, PA.
Will Daskal's paintings are in great demand, and they are held in private and corporate collections throughout the United States, Canada and Europe. In the summer of 2008, he was the featured artist in Local Flair magazine's July issue.
In the fall of 2008, he completed an extensive period of personal watercolor tutelage with internationally known artist-author-teacher Ron Ranson, with whom his own work is often compared. In 2009, he completed an intensive week of figure study work under the keen eye of internationally renowned artist/teacher, Don Andrews. Will has already enrolled in upcoming watercolor workshops in the coming year with Tony Couch, Tom Lynch & Jean Uhl Spicer.
Will began his journey of working with watercolor paints during the summer of 2005, and to date, he has been trained by some of the best watercolor instructors in the world, including the following artist-teachers: Don Andrews, Tom Lynch, Ron Ranson, Bill Wentz, Dana Van Horn, Tim Weaver, John James, Ed Havas, Carmelina Lombardi and the late Sally Millspaugh, to whom he is most deeply indebted.
Will is a member of the following art organizations:
Will's Formal Education:
- High School: Graduate of the prestigious Bronx High School of Science (Academic Diploma)
- BA – The City College of New York (Liberal Arts)
- MA – The University of Southern California (English Literature)
- MS – Adelphi University (Special Education)
- Professional Degree in Educational Administration: Long Island University (School District Administration & Supervision)
- Non-Thesis Graduate Study (Additional 30 graduate credits): English Literature/Special Education and Reading
- Administrative Accreditation: Permanent New York State Certificates in School District Superintendent and School District Administrator
- New York City Licenses Held: Principal, Day High Schools; Principal, Alternative High Schools; Assistant Principal, Administration and Supervision; Assistant Principal, Administration and Supervision in Special Education; Teacher of English, Day High Schools
Painting outdoors, en pleine air, invigorates Will and brings vitality to his work. He loves sharing his unbridled enthusiasm and painting knowledge with others by teaching his watercolor and acrylic painting techniques in classes, public demonstrations and workshops throughout this region.
Will strives to show that watercolor & acrylic painting can be rich and dramatic. Will envisions artistic inspiration everywhere he travels, painting simply for enjoyment and spiritual gratification. His artistic creativity is predicated upon a primal energy that flows within him. The natural world is beautiful and filled with exciting possibilities, and he feels infinitely blessed to be able to observe and explore so much or it through his art. His paintings are rooted in bits of reality, as well as his own personal existence, forming a springboard for situations he might observe or imagine.